SIX LIONS SPEARED TO DEATH OUTSIDE NAIROBI
The wildlife authority said it had dispatched rangers and a veterinary capture team to search for the cats after receiving a report from the community that lions had strayed from the park.
„While the search was on, the lions were killed by the mob,“ KWS said in a statement.
At the beginning of the year at least two lions were killed in similar circumstances in Kitengela.
Nairobi National Park is only partially fenced off to allow animals to move around and migrate.
„Nairobi National Park is a seasonal park and during rainy seasons, herbivores stray out of the park and lions pursue them. In the pursuit lions encounter livestock,“ the wildlife authority said.
„The killing is a big loss to the economy given that lions enjoy an iconic status as one of the ‚Big Five‘ which are a big draw for tourists who visit Kenya,“ KWS went on.
Kenya has been losing 100 lions a year for the best part of the past decade, leaving the country with just 2,000 of its famous big cats.
„This implies that the country could have no wild lions at all in 20 years,“ KWS said.
- Nairobi National Park – Kenya (peters365photos.wordpress.com)
- LION LIGHTS – a home grown solution to saving lions and livestock (newswatch.nationalgeographic.com)
- Lions on the loose in Kenyan capital’s urban jungle (dailystar.com.lb)
- Lions on the Loose in Kenyan Capital (news.discovery.com)
- Lions on the loose in Kenyan capital’s urban jungle (capitalfm.co.ke)